Yelp reply empty
The town of Monson was incorporated in 1775 and named after Sir John Monson, president of theÂ British Board of TradeÂ and a friend ofÂ Massachusetts governor Thomas Pownall.
In the 19th century and early 20th century, mills were built along theÂ Chicopee Brook, which runs south to north through the center of the town. One of the most successful industries during this time was the woolen mills, which were operated by industrialists such as Joseph L. Reynolds, Dwight W. Ellis, C. W. Holmes, and S. F. Cushman. In addition, Heiman & Lichten operated a successful straw and felt goods factory on Main Street.
Monson was also known for its granite quarries; the first quarry was opened in 1809, east of present-day Margaret Street. It was used for a short time by the federal government to supply stone for theÂ Springfield Armory, and was later sold to Rufus Flynt, who opened a commercial quarry on the site in 1825 with five employees. By 1900, the quarry was operating under the name ofÂ W.N. Flynt Granite Co., and had expanded to almost 500 employees.Â The quarry continued in operation until about 1935. (Information from Wikipedia)