By Henry Higgins
Planning to sell your home? Spring is just around the corner and that means getting your home prepared to sell in a hot market. Having your home in its peak condition is necessary if you want to realize the maximum value. Here at Jones Group Realtors, we can help you determine where you should begin, plus we can refer any number of top professionals to help you with needed tasks. With perseverance, your home will be ready to sell.
- The easiest thing to do is to declutter your home, especially kitchen and bath counters, plus closets. We can recommend staging companies who may help maximize your home's space, and we also know of many professionals who help with cleanout of properties who may place your items for consignment, resale, repurpose or recycle.
- The inside of your home should be warm and inviting to potential buyers. One of the best things you can do for your home is to add a fresh coat of paint in rooms that may need it, preferably in light neutral colors. These colors will make your home feel fresh and clean, while appealing to a wide range of buyers. To brighten up the space, consider replacing all of your light bulbs with matching warm LED bulbs.
- Clean, clean, clean is a mantra within the industry and a theme that I will often touch on in this blog. Speaking of cleanliness, it's a good idea to shampoo your carpeting, or perhaps even replace it if necessary. Though the memories of playing outside with your kids and dogs may be ingrained in the carpet (literally) potential buyers will not approach it with the same sentimental value. Aside from the carpets, it is also important to take care of any hardwood or linoleum floors as well. For hardwood, it is recommended to refinish if necessary or perhaps a good buffing will do. For linoleum, a thorough cleaning should do the trick. In both cases, if the floors are in dire straits, it is recommended to replace them. Here are some current flooring trends from Realtor.com.
- Make sure to give your windows a good scrubbing. We are happy to recommend some professionals who will clean all of your windows inside and out. You will be amazed at the difference in the light in your home.
- In the areas that get a lot of water traffic in such as the bathroom and kitchen, it's important that you scan the area carefully and remove any rust or mildew. These areas also may happen to have loose caulking or grout from years of use, so make sure attention is paid to those areas.
- In the basement, be sure to clean your hot water heater and drain the sediment that may have collected. If necessary, change the furnace filter as well. It's not unwise to go ahead and have your furnace serviced before you put your home on the market.
- Most importantly, make sure that any lingering odors are dealt with, including pet odors. Buyers may judge with their nose as much as they do with their eyes.
Now that the inside is sparkling, let's discuss what you can do to make the outside of your home wow buyers and increase its curb appeal.
- With snow on the ground, it's important to make sure your driveway and walkways are thoroughly plowed and salted. Make sure your entry is inviting and tidy. There should be a convenient place for buyers to place their boots and shoes upon entering the home.
- Once the grass has returned, you'll want to clean up the yard, mow the lawn and trim and shape the shrubs. Next, get into the details of your landscape by edging the walkways and gardens, and add fresh mulch. Make sure all the weeds are pulled before you mulch! If your garden or lawn has bare spots, consider adding plantings. Not only is it a great way to cover the bare spot, it will add color and life as well. If your walkways or stone walls have accumulated moss, they can be cleaned with a pressure washer (this job is actually fun.)
- Make certain that the exterior of your home, such as trim, gutters, and eaves are all cleaned and/or touched up prior to listing the home. Power washing a home can make it appear shiny and new. These are some of the first things a buyer notices when they arrive at the property.
Here at Jones Group Realtors, we're here to help you relieve the stress of selling and make for a smooth transition. You can check out all of our happy client reviews – we always give 110% with a smile.
60+ YEARS OF SOLID, DEPENDABLE SERVICE